10 Facts About The Womb Chair
The womb chair has been considered by some designers to be the most coveted lounge chair. Designed to meet a specific purpose, the womb chair far exceeded expectations. Check out these interesting facts and discover what makes the womb chair so special!
• Requested by Florence Knoll. In the late 1940's, Florence Knoll, owner of the infamous Knoll Company, wanted a chair that she could curl up in and relax in at home. She believed that Eerio Saarinen was up to the challenge. He was known for breaking designing rules and creating amazing furniture pieces. She contacted Saarinen and he indeed was ready to take on her challenge.
• Created by Eero Saarinen. Eero Saarinen was born in Finland to Eliel and Loja Saarinen, both known for their designing abilitiies. Eero Saarinen studied fine arts in Paris and architecture at Yale. Besides designing furniture, Saarinen has designed some well known buildings, including the TWA Terminal at the Kennedy Airport and the Dulles Airport in Washington, D.C.
• One of the most iconic representations. Because the womb chair is easily recognized by its lap-like form and secure feeling, it is an icon of mid-century Scandinavian organic modernism.
• Available in three sizes. The womb chair is available in a standard, medium or small size. The medium chair is 85% of the size of a standard. Thus, providing the best comfort possible for people of all sizes.
• Constructed of stainless steel, foam and fiberglass.
• Wide range of upholstery. The womb chair is available in leather or in fabric. There's a nice selection of fabric colors to choose from. You can choose a basic blue, green, brown, etc. or go bold with a bright pink, orange or teal!
• Certificate of authenticity. Womb chairs are constructed with foam applied over a molded fiberglass shell. The base is made of slender steel rods. Every womb chair produced by Knoll comes with a certificate of authenticity.
• Greenguard certified. Designed with environmental conscious in mind, the womb chair is greenguard certified.
• Furniture Protection Plan. The Knoll Company provides a "Guardsman Gold-In-Home Furniture Protection Plan". This extensive coverage is good for five years and covers all accidental stains or damages made to the womb chair.
• Matching ottoman available. For the standard or medium size womb chair, a matching ottoman is available. The ottoman is constructed of a molded plywood platform covered with a foam cushion. Using an ottoman with the womb chair provides even more comfort.
If you're considering purchasing a womb chair, you're in for a treat. You'll find the chair cozy and comfortable. Given the chair's support, comfort and size option, the womb chair is well worth the investment. Go ahead, try out a womb chair and see if you agree!